Sunday, November 24, 2013

     This past Sunday I was enjoying a rare evening with my wife and son.  She had just returned from a 5 day business trip and was leaving the next morning for another one.  We were having dinner together, when I went into the kitchen and knocked over a glass bottle of hot sauce.  The bottle broke but did not shatter.  I spent the next 20 minutes or so cleaning while our dinner got cold.  After finishing up and having a laugh, I was doing some laundry in the basement while the two of them played in the living room.  Walking up the stairs I felt a slight pinch in my foot.  That pinch turned out to be a shard of glass a little bigger than a quarter.  After 1 hour of trying to get the blood to stop flowing I finally decided to head over to the emergency room a short ways away.  Sure enough, I was able to get stitches and was sent home a short while later in pain and a little embarrassed.  I arrived to find out that my wife had found two more rather large shards of glass on the kitchen floor.
     I must say that while this has been inconvenient, the fact that it happened may be for the best.  Had I not stepped on the piece of glass it could have been far worse.  My infant son or my dog could have possible stepped on or eaten the glass.  Ill take a sore foot over that situation any day.


Definitions
1) Enjoying:  in a state of having fun
2) shatter:  break into many small pieces
3) Shard:  medium to large piece of something that is broken
4)Flowing:  moving rapidly
5)inconvienient:  No helpful

Fill in the Blanks
1) The river was           very fast.
2) When the wood pole snapped, there were         's of wood, large splinters everywhere.
3) Having homework on the weekend is very              .
4) The Yankees fans probably werent         the world series much when the Red Sox won.
5)When te baseball hit the window I kew it was going to          .

Write a story of your own that uses all of words in the definitions list.



4 comments:

  1. Wow John. Hope you were okay. Something very similar like the one you just described happened to my daughter.

    Another note, like the cloze activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Sounds and looks painful! Hope your feeling better =) Great idea about having them write a story using all the vocab words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better, I like that you put a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was quite an accident. You are right though. Your baby or dog could have easily found the shard. Good entry!

    ReplyDelete